Accredited by NA AC with ‘A’ Grade || ISO 9001:2008 Certified
- Address | Sardar Patel Road, Opposite to C, L.R.I, Adyar, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600036.
- Established | 1959 | Chennai | Tamilnadu | India
- All India Ranking | 01
- Administered centrally by | The IIT Council | The Minister of Human Resource & Development, Government of India
- Recognised as an | Institute of National Importance
- Internationally | IIT Madras was ranked 264 in the QS World University Rankings of 2018.
- Admission Mode | IIT – JEE Entrance
- College Type | Government Institution | Autonomus
- Courses Offered in IITM | B.E. / B.Tech | B.Sc. | Executive MBA/PGDM | M.E./M.Tech | MBA/PGDM
- Approved By | AICTE | NAAC | NBA
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras is a public engineering institute located in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. As one of the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs), it is recognised as an Institute of National Importance. Founded in 1959 with technical and financial assistance from the former government of West Germany, it was the third IIT that was established by the Government of India. IIT Madras has been ranked the top engineering institute in India for three years in a row (2016-2018) by the National Institutional Ranking Framework of the Ministry of Human Resource Development.
- IIT Madras is a residential institute that occupies a 2.5 km² campus that was formerly part of the adjoining Guindy National Park. The institute has nearly 550 faculty, 8,000 students and 1,250 administrative and supporting staff.Growing ever since it obtained its charter from the Indian Parliament in 1961, much of the campus is a protected forest, carved out of the Guindy National Park, home to large numbers of chital (spotted deer), black buck, monkeys, and other rare wildlife. A natural lake, deepened in 1988 and 2003, drains most of its rainwater.
B.E/B.Tech Undergraduate Course 2018-19
Fees Structure 2018-19
- All the students / scholars (including HTTA/HTRA students / scholars) have to pay their semester fees directly through online.
- All SC/ST and PwD students/scholars are exempted from payment of Tuition fees irrespective of their parental income
- Dual degree students have to pay B.Tech. fees for first 8 semesters and M.Tech fees for 9th and 10th semesters
- Students/Scholars are permitted to pay the Institute fees in installments however full fees has to be paid on or before 31st March 2019.
- The last date for payment of Hostel Fees is 15th January 2019.
|Details||Others||B.Tech. & Dual Degree / MA Students|
|Without scholarship||With scholarship|
|Hostel Admission Fee||250||250||250|
|Advance Dining charges||15900||15900||5000|
|Establishment `A’ charges||5000||5000||5000|
|Establishment ‘B’ charges||1500||1500||1500|
- In 1956, the West German Government offered technical assistance for establishing an institute of higher education in engineering in India. The first Indo-German agreement was signed in Bonn, West Germany in 1959 for the establishment of the Indian Institute of Technology at Madras. IIT Madras was started with technical, academic and financial assistance from the Government of West Germany and was at the time the largest educational project sponsored by the West German Government outside their country. This has led to several collaborative research efforts with universities and institutions in Germany over the years. Although official support from the German government has ended, several research efforts involving the DAAD programme and Humboldt Fellowships still exist.
- The institute was inaugurated in 1959 by Prof Humayun Kabir, the then Union Minister for Scientific Research and Cultural Affairs. In 1961, the IITs were declared to be Institutions of National Importance that include the seven Institutes of Technology located at Kharagpur (established 1951), Mumbai (established 1958), Chennai (established 1959), Kanpur (established 1959), Delhi (established 1961), Guwahati (established 1994) and Roorkee (established 1847, renamed to an IIT in 2001). IIT Madras celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 2009. Seven more IITs have been set up since 2008.
- The main entrance of IIT Madras is on Chennai’s Sardar Patel Road, flanked by the residential districts of Adyar and Velachery. The campus is close to the Raj Bhavan, the official seat of the Governor of Tamil Nadu. Other entrances are located in Velachery (near Anna Garden MTC bus stop, Velachery Main Road), Gandhi Road (known as Krishna Hostel gate or Toll Gate) and Taramani gate (close to Ascendas Tech Park).
- The campus is located 10 km from the Chennai Airport, 12 km from the Chennai Central Railway station, and is well connected by city buses. Kasturba Nagar is the nearest station on the Chennai MRTS line.
- Two parallel roads, Bonn Avenue and Delhi Avenue, cut through the faculty residential area, before they meet at the Gajendra Circle, near the Administrative Block. Buses regularly ply between the Main Gate, Gajendra Circle, the Academic Zone, and the Hostel Zone.
- For the undergraduate curriculum, admission to the BTech and Dual Degree (BTech + MTech) programme is done through the Joint Entrance Examination – Advanced (JEE-Advanced). IIT Madras conducted JEE Advanced in 2017. Admission to the five-year integrated Master of Arts (MA) programme is through the Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Examination (HSEE), an IIT Madras specific exam.
- For the postgraduate curriculum, admission to the MTech and MS programmes are through the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE). The Joint Admission Test to MSc (JAM) is the entrance exam for the two-year M.Sc. programme, and other post BSc programmes. MBA candidates are accepted through the Common Admission Test (CAT).
- Internationally, IIT Madras was ranked 264 in the QS World University Rankings of 2018. The same rankings ranked it 48 in Asia and 18 among BRICS nations. It was ranked 601-800 in the world by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings of 2018, 103 in ASIA and 35 among BRICS & Emerging Economies University Rankings in 2017.
- IIT Madras also ranked first among engineering colleges by the National Institutional Ranking Framework in 2018 and second overall. It was ranked fourth among engineering colleges in India in 2017 by The Week.
Top Searched Links By College4u.in
- Top Engineering Colleges In India | Genuine Rank Of 100 Engineering College Based On Placement
- Top 100 Engineering College India | Admission in Best Engineering College | MHRD | NIRF Ranking 2019
- Top 100 Medical Colleges India | Admission in Best Medical College India In NEET 2019
- Top Medical College Karnataka | Top Medical College Bangalore | Top Raked College Karnataka
- Top 20 Engineering college Bangalore | Genuine rank of Top Engineering college
- Top 25 Pharma college india | NIRF Ranking| 2017 Genuine Ranking | Top Pharma Colleges India
- Top 20 Pharmacy College Bangalore | Top Pharma College Bangalore | Genuine Ranking
- List Of Top Dental College Karnataka | Top 35 Dental College Karnataka | Genuine Ranking
- Top 20 Engineering College Pune | Genuine Ranking | Contact
- Top 20 MBA | PGDM | Management Colleges in Mumbai | Pune
- Top 20 MBA / PGDM / Management Colleges in Bangalore
- Top 20 MBA / PGDM / Management Colleges in Delhi-NCR
- Top 20 Computer Application BCA | MCA College Of Bangalore | India
- Top 25 Management College | BBA | BBM | BMS in Bangalore
- Top Nursing Colleges Bangalore | B.sc Nursing | M.sc Nursing | P.B Nursing
- Top Law College Pune | Mumbai | LLB | BALLB | BBALLB
- Top Law College Bangalore | LLB | BA LLB | BBA LLB | LLM | Ph.D
Contact | 7411718005 | 9620557598
Condition Apply : All College Admission Process Might Be Different.